With the changing of the seasons (happy first day of Fall!), it’s time to unpack the tights and warm sweaters, order “hot” instead of “iced” at your local café and exfoliate away the sun-damaged skin from summer. There are lots of tips to survive shorter days, longer nights and just generally busy days as a city girl and lucky for you I’ve rounded up some of my favorites. Keep reading to find out the ways I’ve been getting by while being busy and fabulous!
1. For cheap and healthy make-up remover, try olive oil. It’s chemical-free!
2. If you have sensitive ears, put Vaseline on earrings before putting them in.
3. Onions and garlic are both foods than can accelerate hair growth.
4. Smiling, even when you’re in a bad mood, will immediately improve your mood. Using these muscles is enough to trigger happy chemicals in the brain. Also, you’ll look prettier.
5. The ‘gel’ from an Advil liquid gel will cure a pimple almost instantly.
1. Evaluate effort. No one person should be doing all the work in making it work.
2. If he broke up with you and then says he misses you, learn from his mistake: find someone who appreciates you and never let them go.
3. If it’s the first date, he asked you out, and doesn’t pick up the check, you should ask for yours and be on your way.
4. Trust your instincts. They’re usually right.
5. When on a date, the best way to judge a person’s character is to see how they treat waiters and waitresses.
1. Always go out in public like you’re about to meet the love of your life.
2. On camera, wearing yellow makes you look bigger. Wearing green makes you look smaller.
3. Prevent angora from shedding by putting the item in a plastic bag and freezing for at least three hours.
4. Toothpaste removes ink from your clothes. Apply it to the stain, let it dry and then wash!
5. To remove wrinkles from a shirt, throw it in the dyer for five minutes with a few ice cubes.
1. Call your friends on their birthdays. It’s the grown-up/ right thing to do.
2. Having a hard time finding a gift for a friend? Browse their Pinterest.
3. People who ask for advice are generally looking for affirmation. Don’t get too upset with friends who don’t listen to every word you say.
1. If you can’t afford two of it, you can’t afford one of it.
2. Most successes spring from an obstacle or failure. In other words, relax. Most things end up being just fine.
3. Need to park in the city at night? Park in front of a bank because they’re lit up and have cameras everywhere.
4. Put a sticker with a fake PIN number on your debit card. If you lose it and someone tries to use it 3+ times, the machine will eat the card.
1. Apples are more powerful than caffeine at helping you stay awake. Drinking a glass of cold water in the morning has also proven successful.
2. Drinking water between alcoholic drinks is much more effective in preventing a hangover than simply drinking a lot of water before sleeping.
3. Going for a run? Try the jog.fm app for a playlist catered for the pace of your run.
4. Starbucks offers a size smaller than tall: short! It’s a cheaper and much healthier size.
5. Thirty minute naps are the most effective. They only use the two lightest sleep stages so you don’t wake up as tired and are more productive.
Got any quick beauty tips or general rules of thumb for dating that would benefit other city girls? Send them to me for a chance to be “It Girl” of the week! I’m looking forward to reading your tips!