With the return of college students to the city & my own summer vacation coming to an end, it’s never a bad time to make note of all the things that make this city great (& a great big pain in the you-know-what).
Keep reading to find out what I love (& love to hate) in the greatest city in the world!
1. A “quick lunch” does not exist if your plans take you anywhere near the Freedom Trail.
2. You might think you look #flawless. But then you take the Red Line on a humid summer day and you realize that you could be wrong.
3. Wind tunnels are God’s way of keeping you humble when the weather is perfect.
4. A little bit of every Bostonian’s heart broke on 4/15/13.
5. If you have to walk up Beacon Hill to go to work, you can politely excuse yourself from the part of society that needs a gym membership. You’ve done enough.
6. One does not simply walk up Beacon Hill in heels.
7. You’re not a true Boston-area city girl until you’ve taken a ride on the T with no hands & without falling into an unsuspecting fellow traveler.
8. Back Bay Station smells like cucumbers. No, really.
9. If you live in a suburb outside of the city and take public transportation to work, it takes around thirty minutes. If you live in a neighborhood inside the city and take public transportation to work, it takes around thirty minutes.
10. The Green Line is the reason people in Boston have trust issues.
11. Cyclists play by their own rules. And probably get to work faster.
12. The life expectancy of any pump or wedge you buy at Nordstrom’s is cut in half the minute you decide you’re wearing it out. (Hi cobblestones, how are you?)
13. If you ask for sugar at Dunkin’ Donuts, you will get a mystery layer of sweet sludge at the bottom of your clear plastic cup. If you ask for sugar at Starbucks, you will politely be directed to do it yourself.
14. Nothing is ever perfect. Except the original Boston Cream Pie at the Omni Parker House.
15. When the Red Sox have a home game, having a T stop named specifically for the stadium does no one any good.
16. No one actually says “pissah”. It’s not a thing.
17. “Southie” and the “South End” are two v e r y different places.
18. Saying you’re going to the Hong Kong Café for “one drink or one song only” is the biggest lie you’ve ever told anyone ever.
19. Admit it: The Colonel’s place in your heart was slightly adjusted the first time you ever tried BonChon chicken.
20. Trying to sleep outside the city (or anywhere not in close proximity to the Longwood Medical Area) is, at first, an impossibly hard task without the shrieking “ambient” noise.
21. Boylston Street after dark is this city’s Frat Row.
22. You know at least one person who knows someone who has seen Johnny Depp, Adam Sandler, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon or Mark Wahlberg shooting something entertainment-related somewhere in or around the city in the last five years.
23. If you try hard enough, every day is a $1 oyster day.
24. Even when the Red Sox don’t make it to the World Series, the Bruins don’t make it through the Stanley Cup play-offs and the Celtics fall short of the World Championship, this is still the greatest city in the world.